Notice of Election
A General Election will be held on Tuesday, November 8, 2022, in Vote Centers in Hughes County. The Election polls will be open from 7:00 am to 7:00 pm central standard time the day of the election. Registered voters in Hughes County can vote at any of the following vote centers for the General Election:
Five Vote-centers will be open for Hughes County voters for the General Election.
1-1 Faith Lutheran Church
1-2 New Life Assembly of God Church
1-3 Capitol Lake Visitors Center
1-5 Blunt Community Center
1-6 Harrold City Auditorium
Voters with disabilities may contact the County Finance Office for information and special assistance in absentee voting or polling place accessibility.
Absentee Voting for the General Election begins September 23rd
Voter Registration Deadline for the General Election is October 24th
General Election is November 8th
Register to Vote:
You must be registered to vote 15 days prior to an Election.
An individual must meet the following criteria to register to vote.
- Be a United States citizen
- Be at least 18 years old on or before the next election.
- Not currently serving a sentence for a felony conviction which included imprisonment, served or suspended, in an adult penitentiary system.
- Not be judged mentally incompetent by court of law
complete this form.
Mail to: Hughes County Finance Office
104 E Capitol Ave
Pierre, SD 57501
Any registered voter may vote by absentee ballot until 5:00 pm on the day prior to the election.
Voters do not need to provide a reason in order to absentee vote. All voters will be required to show identification or complete a Personal Identification Affidavit
- In Person
- By Mail
- By Messenger
Location: Hughes County Finance Office, County Courthouse, 104 E Capitol Ave
To cast an Absentee Ballot in person, a voter must:
- Complete the combined Absentee Ballot Application/Return Envelope
- Present valid identification
- A South Dakota driver's license or non-driver identification card; or a passport or an identification card, including a picture issued by an agency of the United States government; or
- A tribal identification card, including a picture; or
- A current student identification card, including a picture issued by a high school or accredited institution of higher education, including a university, college, or technical school located within the State of South Dakota.
If a voter is not able to present a form of personal identification as required by SDCL 12-18-6.1, the voter may complete a Personal ID Affidavit.
To receive an absentee ballot by mail, a voter must file an Absentee Ballot Application for an early/absentee ballot with the Finance Office at least 15 days prior to the election. The application cannot be submitted by fax or email. The application must include a copy of the voters personal identification (Driver's License), the voter may send a photo of their ID by emailing it to: firstname.lastname@example.org or the voter's signature can be notarized or witnessed by an official who can administer an oath.
The completed ballot can be returned or mailed to the Court House:
Hughes County Finance Office
104 E Capitol Ave
Pierre, SD 57501
For additional information , go to www.sdsos.gov
A voter who is confined because of sickness or disability may request an absentee ballot in writing by completing the Absentee Ballot Application and naming an authorized messenger who will deliver the ballot to the voter.
The voter must sign a statement on the back of the Absentee Ballot Envelope prior to returning the ballot.
Any Absentee Messenger voted ballot must be returned to the Hughes County Finance Office by 3:00 pm on Election Day.
View your Sample Ballot.
Questions for Hughes County (605) 773-7451 or email:
More information about Elections can be found on the South Dakota Secretary of State website www.sdsos.gov